McDaniel finishes fifth at Pride of Maryland

Michael Jarboe © 2009 David Sinclair/McDaniel College
Michael Jarboe © 2009 David Sinclair/McDaniel College

Late first-half run carries Green Terror to 57-50 win over Washington

TOWSON, Md. - Michael Jarboe (Monrovia, Md./Urbana) tallied 14 points and six rebounds to lead McDaniel to a 57-50 men's basketball victory over Washington (Md.) in the fifth-place game of the 2009 Pride of Maryland Tournament presented by M&T Bank on Sunday.

The Green Terror (2-1), who used a 14-4 run over the final 6:53 of the first half to turn a three-point deficit into a seven-point advantage, finished fifth in the tournament for the second straight year and now has a state-high 11 wins in the five years of the championship.

Alan Kines finished with 14 points to lead the Shoremen (1-2), who also got 13 points from Andrew Chambers.

With his team trailing 17-14, Woody Butler (Smithsburg, Md./Middletown) hit a pair of free throws to close the deficit to one with 6:53 on the clock.

On the team's next possession, Miguel Jones (Baltimore, Md./North County) hit a 3-pointer from the top of the arc to give McDaniel the lead for good with 6:26 showing.

A Marcus Dyson (Scotch Plains, N.J./Union Catholic) jumper with 3:35 to play stretched the lead to 23-19 and sparked a stretch of seven straight points to extend the advantage to 28-19 with 1:26 showing.

Kevin Breslin, who finished with 12 points off the bench, hit a jumper to close the deficit to 28-21 at the intermission.

The Green Terror lead remained between five and nine points for the first 11:04 of the second half before Dyson's three-point play gave the squad its first double-digit lead of the game.

A Jones jumper with 2:05 to play made it a 49-39 game before Washington connected on the next seven points to close to within three.

Out a timeout, the Green Terror weaved up the court but a turnover sent the Shoremen the other way. Breslin hit a 15-footer from the left wing with 37.9 seconds on the clock to close the deficit to 49-46.

After a failure to the ball in bounds, McDaniel was forced to call its final timeout. Out of that stoppage, Jones was fouled with 35.4 seconds to play and hit both ensuing free throws to stretch the lead back to five.

An 8-for-8 showing from the stripe in the final minute sealed the victory.

A Kines layup with 11:35 to play in the first half gave the Shoremen a 13-9 lead - the largest advantage for either team over the game's first 14 minutes.

The Green Terror returns to action at Alvernia on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m.