Stettinius '11 Olympic Central
Suzanne Stettinius is a 2011 graduate of McDaniel College, where she was a member of the Green Terror swim team.
Suzanne is competing for the US Olympic team at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London in the modern pentathlon.
The modern pentathlon consists of fencing, swimming, equestrian and a combined event (running and shooting).
The women's modern pentathlon is conducted on Aug. 12 - the final day of the Olympics. Fencing begins at 8 a.m. local time (3 a.m. Eastern) and continues with swimming at 12:35 p.m. (7:35), riding at 2:35 p.m. (9:35) and combined at 6 p.m. (2:00).
The events will be televised on NBC Sports Network on tape delay. Fencing and swimming will be aired between 9 and 9:30 a.m. while riding and combined will be aired between 2:45 and 3:45 p.m. You can also watch the events live online (http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-listings/day=august-12/index.html).
All You Need to Know (and more)
- McDaniel swim coach Jeff Hiestand is joining Suzanne in London for the event. He has been blogging leading up to the Olympics and will continue through his trip. You can find all of his blog entries here: http://blog.mcdaniel.edu/london2012/
- Many articles have been written about Suzanne. We will try to compile a comprehensive list at the bottom of this page.
- McDaniel College Associate Vice President for Commications and
Marketing and Barb O'Brien in College Archives has compiled a list
of known Western Maryland/McDaniel Olympians to come before
- W. Wilson Wingate '18, famed Baltimore newspaper writer, represented the U.S. Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association at the Olympic Games in 1928 (Amsterdam) and 1932 (Los Angeles).
- Homer Earll '50 participated in the southern Olympic tryout team for the 1948 Olympics.
- Knut "KH" Hjeltnes '77 competed in the shot put and discus. He was fifth in Montreal (1976) and fourth in Los Angeles (1984).
- Therese Pohl, MEd. '78 competed as a runner in the Deaf Olympics in Sweden (1971) and Romania (1977).
- Professor of Exercise Science and Physical Education Emeritus Dr. Sam Case '63, MEd. '66, worked for the physiology lab of the sports medicine complex at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs (1979-80) and served as an assistant wrestling coach with his former student, James Schartner '72 (team coach), for the US team at the 1989 World Games for the Deaf.
- Neil Gwinn, Jr. '86, MS '90; Nancy Mumme MS '89; and Christopher Madden '90 competed at the 1988 Deaf Olympics in Christchurch, New Zealand. Gwinn played center forward on the US soccer team and won a silver medal. Mumme played on the US volleyball team and Madden was a member of the US wrestling team.
- You can follow various social media outlets for updates about
- McDaniel Athletics (@mcdanielsports on Twitter or McDaniel Athletics on Facebook)
- Jeff Hiestand, swim coach (@mcdanielswim on Twitter)
- Suzanne (@sstettinius on Twitter)
- Suzanne Olympic Fund on Facebook with updates (http://www.facebook.com/groups/383569455011942)
- Google Site (https://sites.google.com/a/mintmeadows.com/suzanne2012/home)
All of the stories and links we could find
Hunt Valley Patch (6/6): http://huntvalley.patch.com/articles/parkton-woman-headed-for-olympics
News@McDaniel (6/7): http://www.mcdaniel.edu/12132.htm
WNST Interview (6/12): http://wnst.net/audio-vault/?listen=%20Suzanne%20Stettinius%20(2012%20Olympic%20Pentathlon)%20from%20McDaniel%20College%20joins%20Thyrl%20to%20talk%20about%20her%20journey%20to%20the%20Olympics
News@McDaniel (6/20): http://www.mcdaniel.edu/12164.htm
Baltimore Magazine (July): http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/this-month/2012/07/publishers-note-july-2012
Press Box (7/16): http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=9078
WJZ 13 Baltimore (7/16): http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/07/16/maryland-native-to-compete-in-pentathlon-at-olympics/
What's Up Website (7/27): http://v3.whatsupmag.com/thrive/item/2858-maryland_olympians#.UBLukDGe6qc
News@McDaniel (8/7): http://www.mcdaniel.edu/information/headlines/news-mcdaniel/our-own-olympian